Monday 30 November 2015

Cool blue monster

In addition to eating lots of belated-Thanksgiving treats, having a little mental health crisis, changing a flat tyre, putting up a new episode of the podcast and tutoring most of Sunday afternoon, I found some time to paint this weekend.

The model I chose to paint was this Reaper Bones bugbear. However, I decided not to use him as a bugbear. The Bones models are pretty cool, but they're absolutely huge, which is a little ridiculous considering that bugbears in D&D, while on the tough end of the humanoid scrub range, aren't that tough. Instead, I decided I would paint him as an Ice Troll for Frostgrave. He might also turn up as some kind of arctic monster in the D&D game, especially if I paint up the rest of his mates.



I kept his palette pretty simple and I think he came out rather nicely. If I decide I have time I'll do something with the skull emblem on his belt. The usual Reaper caveats (foul mould lines!) apply.

I also painted one of those plastic archers from the WHFB 5th edition boxed set, just because more utility archers for Frostgrave would be handy and I wanted to keep practicing painting with thinned paints over a grey-to-white base.


I think he looks rather nice.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a Bugbears and Gnolls set that was part of the Bones 2 Kickstarter -- but I think they were surplus figures from the first KS. This guy is "Rugg, Bugbear Leader": http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/bugbear/latest/77231

      Delete
    2. The bowman has come out really nice as well!

      What paints / undercoats are you using for your Bones?

      Delete
    3. I prime with either Halfords grey car primer or Army Painter leather brown spray depending on the final goal. I think the grey is more even and has a better finish but both are OK. If I really want a black undercoat I brush prime with vallejo black.

      I then just dry brush the whole thing up from the grey base to white using a mixture of Valley and cheap craft paints. The dark brown like the straps and club are Army Painter Strong wash. The skin is vmc sky blue, highlighted up with white, and the armour is vmc Gunmetal Grey and Natural Steel with a Citadel black wash. I veeeery gently did the face and chest with thinned citadel blue wash -- it is only really noticeable in the line where the fur frames the face.

      Delete
    4. Cool - good to know Halfords Car Primers works - I usually only get that for LARP NERF guns.

      I've got a bottle of glass and tile medium for undercoating mine - I've been told that's pretty good. I'll report results when I try it!

      Delete
  2. Awesome. I was half-done with my bugbears, but now I'm going blue-skinned frost yeti-men instead. Actually I was already doing that when you first mentioned it, but it helps immensely to have a visual guide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad the post is useful! I look forward to seeing yours when they're done.

      Delete
    2. I can't promise they'll be good but I'll post a link to some pictures when they're done!

      Delete