Tuesday 28 March 2017

The end of an era

Back in late 2013, my friend Alex was on a bit of a D&D kick. He asked me to run a game, and I said I would do it, happy to have the chance to put some of my new thoughts about adventure gaming into action. Bob, Simon and Angela joined us. Simon dropped out eventually, but Stephen and my wife Allison joined us along the way.

And here it is 2017 and we're about ready to wrap up. We started out in 3.5, but switched to 5th and I (for one) have never looked back. What started out as a story about a couple of scrubs in a jail cell about to be sacrificed has gone all over the campaign map, to an alternate dimension and even into hell. They've robbed temples, explored tombs, hunted vampires, blown up a giant Fortress Golem by killing a demon on top of it, escaped the law, tampered with the fundamental structure of reality, broken an ancient curse and established a kingdom on a tropical island. They've battled cultists, sorcerers, the living dead, apes, a skeletal dinosaur, the dread Eye of Daoloth, fishmen, genetically-engineered super-soldiers, clones, wargolems, snowlems, cannibals, clockwork soldiers, reality-warping hellbeasts, and the dread Chunder Shark. They've formed alliances, lost friends, and discovered ancient secrets. The one thing they've never done is fight a dragon.

And, I mean, it says dragon right on the cover.

So for the grand finale of the game I'm going to stage a fight against a dragon. And not just any dragon, but this guy:


Chained to the roof of the sky by heroes in ages past and released by our heroes for reasons that seemed good at the time, this son of a gun breathes not fire or acid but monsters. He's helped our heroes save reality, but the price of that aid is that he's coming to eat the peaceful villagers of Frog Island. Unless, that is, our heroes and their unlikely coalition of pirates, gloomy Vikings, civilised hobgoblin mercenaries, drug-addled shamans, decadent aristocrats and general riffraff can do something to stop him. Fortunately, they did manage to get some dodgy magic items from a mummified snake priest. Those'll help, right?

It's the last session of the longest game I've run in ages, and over the next few posts I'll be sharing some of the preparations I'm making.

No comments:

Post a Comment