Saturday 2 August 2014

RPG a Day, Day 2: First game I ran

No video this time, because I don't really have anything to wave at the camera.

The first game I ran ...

... this one is kind of lost in the mists of time. I have mentioned that my hometown had several games stores when I was very young, but either at a young age I didn't know where they were or I didn't know that they had the kind of thing I was looking for. So a lot of time was spent sort of ... reconstructing RPGs from memory. I remember one time I was at some kind of ... I don't know what it was. It seems like it was some kind of day care, but that seems really unlikely, since my mother hadn't yet gone back to work at the time. It could have been a summer day camp, but in my mind it was winter. I am pretty sure I remember watching A Christmas Story there, which would be a weird thing to do in July.

Anyway, there was another kid there who had played D&D, and he sort of reconstructed what he remembered of it, and I reconstructed what I knew about T&T, and he ran me and a few other kids through a dungeon, of which I remember nothing other than that there were some kind of rock monsters who were living stalactites. They fell down from the ceiling and might hit you, and then you had to fight them. I am pretty sure I died.

But as for the first game I ran ... well, I suppose you could call it a LARP.

One of these was my dungeon:

Let me tell you of the days of high adventure. 

And I was well supplied with fireballs: 

KABOOM!

Apart from that I remember nothing other than that I, as GM, represented some kind of an evil wizard, who if memory serves was called Zoltar. 

And there you have it. I was drunk with safe, soft, colourful power. My future as fateweaver and world-imaginer for all but one of the boys in Mrs Eng's 3rd-grade classroom was sealed. Or possibly Mr De Amici's 4th-grade classroom; I'm telling you, I remember nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment