Tuesday 16 August 2016

Tale of Gamers: painting progress

Just a quick update on the joint painting project I am doing with Tim of The Responsible One's Wargaming Blog!

I have painted a few models, which was a great relief as I was, for reasons that will be seen in a post next week, itching to get some done.


This is one of the sorcerer's familiars. He's a little Reaper Bones imp guy, and he was very simple to paint. I primed him grey, then just drybrushed up to pure white. The main body got a 50/50 mix of green and yellow washes, while the tentacles are a mix of purple wash and old Liche Purple GW paint. The wings and a few other areas got a very thin purple wash, and then I highlighted up with a mix of Coat d'Arms Goblin Green and VMC Yellow Green. He's not very big, as you can see -- that's a 20 mm base.


This is the test model for my marauders. He had the same basic grey-then-wash setup, with a mixture of black wash and black paint for the armour and boots. His skin, following a suggestion from my friend Ian, is a mix of yellow and purple washes, with some areas then touched up with GW Carroburg Crimson to look inflamed. Everything else is just basic washes, with most of the colour in this unit intended to come from the shield. The unifying colour for this block of ten is going to be green, as you can see here. I wasn't pleased with the way the shield came out, so I went back and redid it. It's now OK. Still not great, but definitely better.



This is the champion of the Marauder regiment. I didn't want to paint acres of bronzed musculature, so I gave him a cold blue colour. To fit in with the theme, I gave him some bright green warpaint. This model is a pretty goofy sculpt with a pretty rough casting, and I'm not 100% happy with how it came out, but I think it will work in the regiment.


And this is the sorcerer, based on the Morcar giveaway figure from BOYL. I painted him as an homage to Skeletor, more or less, and in the photo I can see some places where it needs touching up -- the belt, the rings on the left hand and the base generally --  so I'll do that before calling it done. Still, so far so good.

Here he is with both familiars. Like the first, the second is a Reaper Bones model.


And lastly, here's the model I'm happiest about so far, the musician for the Marauder regiment. The entry in the army list specifies that the musician is a skull drummer, so I dug out some spare skulls. The head and arms are from GW Flagellants, with weapons carved down into drumsticks, and the body is a Frostgrave cultist.


No comments:

Post a Comment